Quebec non-resident RRSP witholding rate

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bc075259

Quebec non-resident RRSP witholding rate

Post by bc075259 »

Is the 25% tax withholding rate on non-resident RRSP withdrawals the same for a RRSP that originates in Quebec? I somehow thought the Quebec rate was higher but I can't find anything on this now. Likewise, is the RRIF 15% withholding rate applicable to Quebec as well?

Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Quebec non-resident RRSP witholding rate

Post by nelsona »

RRSPs are only subject to the 25% NR tax, regardless of what province they are held, or where you last lived in Canada. the yare not subject to any provincial withholding or tax.
Eligible RRIF withdrawals (ie. only those classified as periodic), will get the 15% rate for the same reason.

You are thinking of the *residential* withholding rate(s) which are required for both CRA and MRQ.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bc075259

Post by bc075259 »

Thanks Nelson, I recall making a non-resident RRSP withdrawl about 12 or so years ago, and they withheld around 30%, indicating the with-holding rates for Quebec originated RRSPs was higher. I also have an older book by B. Wruk (not sure if you know the one) that indicates non-resident Quebec RRSP with-holding rates ranging from 21% to 35%. Has this changed since or do you they may have just been mistaken?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Those figures are not, and have never been accurate. RESIDENT RRSP withholding is higher in QC, not non-resident withholding.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D