Should my accounting firm have filed a 3520/3520-A last year?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SeattleBound

Should my accounting firm have filed a 3520/3520-A last year?

Post by SeattleBound »

I started working in Seattle in Sept 2017 and have maintained residential ties with Canada. My company assisted with my taxes last year by providing an accounting firm that did my filings in both countries. In the US I filed as a non-resident alien. I have a TFSA and an RESP, which I realize now it would be good to close (doh!). Anyways, the accounting firm did not do a form 3520 or 3520-A last year. Was this correct because I was a non-resident alien?

I am considered a resident alien this year for tax purposes, so it's clear to me that they must be filed this year.
SeattleBound

Re: Should my accounting firm have filed a 3520/3520-A last year?

Post by SeattleBound »

For additional info (if it matters), the TFSA was not contributed to in 2018 at all and has a balance of $2.25. Yes, $2.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you were filing as a non-resident, a 1040NR, then none of these extra filings are required, and you were not restricted when it comes to TFSA, etc. You only reported US income (wages) to US, and nothing else, and you report everything to CRA.

Now, in 2018 you say you are resident (what changed?), you are fully subject to US rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SeattleBound

Post by SeattleBound »

Okay, thanks it looks like I am good there. As for filing as a resident this year, I now have met the requirements for "substantial presence" as I've been in Seattle for more than 183 days in 2018.