Non-Resident Spouse Article XV(1)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Protazoid

Non-Resident Spouse Article XV(1)

Post by Protazoid »

Hello,

For context the situation is basically what I asked last year:
viewtopic.php?t=12521

But instead of using form 2225 I would file with treaty rights under section XV(1):
Subject to the provisions of Articles XVIII (Pensions and Annuities) and XIX (Government Service), salaries, wages and other remuneration derived by a resident of a Contracting State in respect of an employment shall be taxable only in that State unless the employment is exercised in the other Contracting State. If the employment is so exercised, such remuneration as is derived therefrom may be taxed in that other State.

Wife works for Canadian employer in Canada, so I can exclude this from gross income right?

I could use form 2225 again but it doesn't really exclude the income, only provides a tax credit as if the foreign income was taxed alone (as im sure you are aware).
nelsona

Re: Non-Resident Spouse Article XV(1)

Post by nelsona »

No can do if she joins you on your return. By electing to put her on your return, you forego these benefits reserved for non-residents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Protazoid

Re: Non-Resident Spouse Article XV(1)

Post by Protazoid »

Thank you sir.