LIF/ 50% one time withdrawal

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

artistic95

LIF/ 50% one time withdrawal

Post by artistic95 »

I am a US/CDN retired citizen living full time in US. No longer required to file CDN tax returns.
Have both a RIF and a LIF. Understand there is a one time 50% withdrawal or transfer to RIF from LIF
allowable. Are there any tax implications? Does it effect normal minimum or maximum annual withdrawal
allowances or is it in addition to the norm ?

Please also advise on non resident CDN tax withholding rates on RIF?LIF withdrawals, minimum and maximum.

Thank you
Artistic95
Thanks, Artistic95
nelsona

Re: LIF/ 50% one time withdrawal

Post by nelsona »

If the transfer is not taxable in Canada it is not taxable in US.

Once you begin wirthdrawing from LIF/RRIF, the withholding in Canada is flat 15% assuming you are making under 10% per year withdrawals.
US will tax the entire withdrawal, giving you credit for the Cdn tax.
You must advide your RRIF LIF trustees that you are US resident, And you must report these accounts on FBAR etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

A withdrawl of lump sum would be 25%withheld in Canada, and fully taxable in US. with credit given for the CDn tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
artistic95

Post by artistic95 »

Nelsona, Thank you, Apparently I can apply to financial institution for a one -time TRANSFER to my RRIF from my LIF since I am a
US resident and no longer pay tax in Canada. Is that transfer tax free?
I already maxed out my 15% withdrawals.
Thank you
Thanks, Artistic95
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is a transfer, it is tax free.
But why would you want to do this?

Are you instead talking of a transfer from a LIRA (or LIF) to a RRIF? That "releases" the money from the restrictive LIF, to a more flexible RRIF. You seem to be talking about doing it the other way round. There are many forms that do this. Not the other way.
artistic95

Post by artistic95 »

Nelsona, I am talking about a one time transfer tax -free from a LIF to a RIF of 505 of LIF to reduce the amount restricted in the LIF.

Does that make sense?

THANKS AGAIN<
Thanks, Artistic95
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. It was your later statement that you were transferring form RIF to LIF that confused me.
artistic95

Post by artistic95 »

Thank you
Thanks, Artistic95