Common Law in Canada recognized in America?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

king256

Common Law in Canada recognized in America?

Post by king256 »

Hello, I am in a Common-Law relationship with my partner in Canada, BC. For US tax purposes, is this considered married? I can not figure this out.
In Canada, we are considered Common Law for tax purposes (not married, we tick common law.) I was reading the definition of "Married" on the IRS website. I'll quote here:

"Married persons.
You are married for the whole year if you are separated but you haven’t obtained a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by the last day of your tax year. An interlocutory decree isn’t a final decree. However, individuals who have entered into a registered domestic partnership, civil union, or other similar relationship that isn’t called a marriage under state (or foreign) law aren’t married for federal tax purposes. For more information, see Pub. 501." https://www.irs.gov/publications/p504#e ... 1000175821

Since a Common Law Partnership is different from marriage, is it safe to file as "Single" for my US tax return?
nelsona

Re: Common Law in Canada recognized in America?

Post by nelsona »

I don't think there is any province that recognizes common law relationship as "Marriage" in the way IRS is asking. BC still has a distinction. There are some US states that do equate the two (which is probably why that wording is in the IRS definition).
So, in my opinion you can (or must) file as single.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
king256

Post by king256 »

viewtopic.php?t=8894

I read this on the forum earlier, so you still think I must be Single? that's how it seems to me, just want to confirm
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
king256

Post by king256 »

Thank you for the help
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

The Internal Revenue Service has upheld the notion that common law marriages are recognized for purposes of filing a joint return (for over 50 years).

In Revenue Ruling 58-66 the Service says:

"In Revenue Ruling 58-66, the Service stated that a couple would be treated as married for purposes of Federal income tax filing status and personal exemptions if the couple entered into a common-law marriage in a state that recognizes that relationship as a valid marriage.
The Service further concluded in Revenue Ruling 58-66 that its position with respect to a common-law marriage also applies to a couple who entered into a common-law marriage in a state that recognized such relationships and who later moved to a state in which a ceremony is required to establish the marital relationship. The Service therefore held that a taxpayer who enters into a common-law marriage in a state that recognizes such marriages shall, for purposes of Federal income tax filing status and personal exemptions, be considered married notwithstanding that the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s spouse are currently domiciled in a state that requires a ceremony to establish the marital relationship. Accordingly, the Service held in Revenue Ruling 58-66 that such individuals can file joint income tax returns under section 6013 of the Internal Revenue Code (Code)."

For "state" I would include foreign jurisdictions. The full reference is found here:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-13-17.pdf

However, you should note that declaring oneself as "married" also brings with it other conditions, such as the inability to file as "Head of Household" or the requirement to file "Married filing separately" if filing a separate return. Each of these can be less attractive.
Mark
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The Key is "in a state that recognizes that relationship as a valid marriage"
Currently only a few states, and no province to my knowledge recognizes common law as a "valid marriage".
king256

Post by king256 »

Well BC does consider your common law partner your spouse under the Family Law act, (Must live together 2 years in a marriage like relationship) but, even though they are treated the same, BC seems to not equate Common Law to be the same as marriage, just get the same treatment.

Another question to branch off this then since it seems I need to file as Single, would their prove to be any problems having "Common Law" ticked on my Canada return, and "Single" on my US return?
king256

Post by king256 »

To add, on the Legal Services society website, it says unmarried spouses who live together never become legally married.
king256

Post by king256 »

Sorry, I do not now how to edit a post but, since I'd be considered as "Single" in the US, would I face problems having Common Law ticked in Canada return and Single ticked in US return? Since BC doesn't equate Common Law as marriage
danesc

Post by danesc »

I don't think it counts as a marriage.
danesc

Post by danesc »

danesc wrote:
> I don't think it counts as a marriage.
Different states have different laws (unspoken laws, too). You can probably find out about it on one of the government websites, not on the forum. However, a lawyer at https://swpdxlaw.com can unequivocally answer this question for you. But it seems to me that you have to apply as a single person. You ask an interesting question, I never thought about it before. Now I too would like to know how to assess this situation. I'll look for an answer, and if I find out anything new, I'll post it here.