Reporting requirements for defined contribution RPP

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Diskdoctor

Reporting requirements for defined contribution RPP

Post by Diskdoctor »

Through her employment (in Canada) my wife is part of her employer's defined contribution registered pension plan. The employer matches employee contributions 1:1. She has some control over the investments as she can choose between a few different options and she knows the current value of the account. In the past I had understood employer pension plans to be exempt from FBAR reporting but have come across a few comments in this forum that seem to indicate otherwise.

Does this plan need to be reported on her FBAR as indicated in the link below?
http://www.ustaxservices.ca/single-post ... t-accounts
Is the account reported as a jointly owned account with the employer?

I know this account needs to be reported on form 8938. Are there other US reporting requirements? The income in the plan is US tax exempt, correct?
nelsona

Re: Reporting requirements for defined contribution RPP

Post by nelsona »

This is her account. She needs to include it in FBAR. It is not really a joint owner. They are funding it, but it is hers.

It is not taxable until she takes withdrawals. She can choose to deduct her contributions from her wages for US tax purposes, this building up a non-taxable (in US) portion later, or she can reduce her wages now, and make the entire pension taxable in both countries when withdrawing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Diskdoctor

Re: Reporting requirements for defined contribution RPP

Post by Diskdoctor »

OK, thanks nelsona for the feedback!

She'll have to file some amended FBARs.

When I get to doing her taxes I'll have to review how I've handled the pension contributions (hers and employers) in the past.