form 8854 and Abandonment of PR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

moi

form 8854 and Abandonment of PR

Post by moi »

I abandoned my PR card in 2014. I file a US tax return every year, because I receive alimony from the US..but I pay my taxes as per the treaty to the Canadian gov't. I have not received anything from Homeland saying they have accepted my abandonment. After searching for some answers, I found this form 8854...no one mentioned this to me. Do I need to file this? I can't even tell if it applies to me. Please help.
nelsona

Re: form 8854 and Abandonment of PR

Post by nelsona »

Yes you do need to file this form otherwise IRShas no reason to know you are no longer GC holder
And you should be filing 1040NR, since filing 1040 implies reporting world income, not just US income
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
moi

Re: form 8854 and Abandonment of PR

Post by moi »

Yes, I do file the NR form.
Thank you, for your help.
So very frustrating, when you never are told the whole story, of what you need to do! Cause I did ask, am I done now? lol