Medical expense credit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Bubba Gums

Medical expense credit

Post by Bubba Gums »

I am a US Resident, working in Canada. My spouse pays US health insurance premiums for me. Are health insurance premiums paid in the United States Eligible as a medical expense in Canada (line 330)? I think yes based upon the income tax folio S1-F1-C1, 1.133, 1.12, . Canada Revenue told me otherwise. Any guidance would be appreciated.
nelsona

Re: Medical expense credit

Post by nelsona »

US premiums paid by either of you -- and FOR either of you -- are deductible on your Cdn return.

Just remember to include her income on Page 1 of your return, so that credits are calculated properly.

A perfect example, is when a non-working spouse files a 217 return in Canada for RRSP income. The medical expenses (s)he can claim include all the premiums the working spouse paid at their work, as well as any other eligible medical expenses incurred by the entire family.

CRA telephlunkies are not to be called or heeded; they are notoriously wrong.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
paullon

Re: Medical expense credit

Post by paullon »

Thank you all for your kindness to me, I wish you good health and good luck!
https://www.assortlist.com/