Primary home in US

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

gang.sun

Primary home in US

Post by gang.sun »

Both my wife and I are working in US right now, but I am planning to go back to Canada later in the year, but my wife will continue to work in US for another year or two. Question, what should I do with the house we bought as our primary home in US? Should I sell it before I leave?
nelsona

Re: Primary home in US

Post by nelsona »

This is a tax and finace question. Ask on forum you have posted other questions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gunnilarss

Re: Primary home in US

Post by Gunnilarss »

The thread is very old, but I just saw it and wanted to add that I agree with nelsona. It all depends on the financial situation and what taxes your house is in a certain state. My wife and I were in a similar situation. We had a nice big house with 3 bedrooms, a mother-in-law suite https://parentportfolio.com/mother-in-law-suite/, or something like that. At that moment, the question of taxes was an important one. The bigger the house is, the higher the taxes are. We thought then that it would be cheaper to sell it and not bother with paying the US taxes. However, I think that we should’ve better rent it out. It would bring some money with almost no effort for maintenance.