departure tax - T5, NR4

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

xiaoice

Post by xiaoice »

Appreciate your help, Nelson.

you are right... I got too much accounts. I choose “dual statusâ€￾ trying to make things simple...
xiaoice

Post by xiaoice »

just found this: So PFIC not required for dual resident.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/26/1.1298-1

(iii)Dual resident taxpayer filing as resident alien at end of taxable year. If a shareholder to whom this paragraph (c)(5) applies computes his or her U.S. income tax liability as a resident alien on the last day of the taxable year and complies with the filing requirements of § 1.6012-1(b)(2)(ii)(a) and, in particular such shareholder timely files with the Internal Revenue Service Form 1040, “U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,â€￾ or Form 1040EZ, “Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers With No Dependents,â€￾ as applicable, and attaches a properly completed Form 8833 to the schedule required by § 1.6012-1(b)(2)(ii)(a), such shareholder will not be required under section 1298(f) and these regulations to file Form 8621 (or successor form) with respect to the portion of the taxable year reflected on the schedule to such Form 1040 or Form 1040EZ required by § 1.6012-1(b)(2)(ii)(a).
xiaoice

Post by xiaoice »

How about the interest T5 that I earned after moved to USA? There is no withheld tax yet. How should I report it to CRA and get the 25% withheld tax deducted?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. Non-residents don't pay Cdn tax on interest, and it would was 10% not 25% in the past. Report it in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D