GC Holder working remotely from Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

joefonte

GC Holder working remotely from Canada

Post by joefonte »

Hi there,

I'm a GC holder and non-resident of Canada. I have been working remotely from Canada for a US employer. US employer doesn't have a presence in Canada.

I was here for 4 months in March, then went back to the US and have been Canada for the past 2 months. If I stay until end of year I will have been in Canada for 187 days.

1) If I stay till end of year (187 days), will I be required to file taxes in Canada as a non-resident?

2) If I go back to the US for 4 days, and then return to Canada, can I avoid the hassle of filing a tax return in Canada?

Thanks so much for your help.
nelsona

Re: GC Holder working remotely from Canada

Post by nelsona »

CRA has issued guidance which allows those who are in canada due to Covid that they will not be considered resident.
Plese search the CRA site for the guidance.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
joefonte

Post by joefonte »

Thanks nelsona.

You are right, looks like days in Canada due to travel restrictions will not be counted. I guess the unclear part is that US border patrol will allow GC holders could go back even though travel restrictions are currently in place, but I assume CRA won't be picky about it for 2020.

For reference in case other people need it: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ssues.html
ND

Post by ND »

Also Contact Marc Pavlopoulos marc@syndesus.com to explore PEO
Syndesus is an Employer of Record (also known as a PEO – Professional Employer Service) in Canada who legally employs Canadians in Canada to work for US companies.

Syndesus collects and remits all Canadian employer and employee taxes to the CRA. You would get an offer letter from Syndesus which exactly mirrors what you have in the US. Which means you get a T4, and that you are eligible for provincial healthcare (because you are now a Canadian taxpayer). The US employer pays the monthly fee for its service. There is no cost to the Canadian worker.
vekok

Post by vekok »

Social education is conducive to the formation of a good social atmosphere, has certain moral constraints, and promotes the construction of a harmonious society. Transnational education has now knew https://www.bestessaytips.com/pendrago-com-review/ become an important part of the development of international higher education.