Dual-Status tax year, income in Canada but from US source.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ktran03

Dual-Status tax year, income in Canada but from US source.

Post by ktran03 »

Hi.

I moved to US in Feb2017.
Prior to that I was an independent contractor, working from Canada. But the company that was paying me as a contractor was located in the US (US Source).

So for tax on the income before I moved to the US (about 5 weeks total, Jan01-Feb05 2017), do I pay this to the IRS or CRA?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You pay this to CRA, because you were resident. However, if you are married and wish to file a full year 1040, you will also report in US.

If you file a 1040NR for the first 2 months, then you would exclude the income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ktran03

Post by ktran03 »

Thank You! That was what I was thinking.

"If you file a 1040NR for the first 2 months, then you would exclude the income."

By Exclude you mean don't report it to IRS at all?

I thought I am suppose to report my Jan-Feb income on 1040NR, and then file Form 1116 Foreign Tax Credit.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, form 1116 is for credit for foreign tax on FOREIGN income. You say this is US-sourced.

Non-residents of US don't pay US tax on all their US-sourced income, and this would be one occasion (US bank interest would be another, and less than 3K wages would be another). So, if you file dual-status, you would report that income on 1040NR, and then exclude it (by explanation on page 4-5). Then you would cpmlete 1040 as dual status.

If insted you chose to simply fiel a 1040 full year, you would include the income (since you are foregoing your right to be treated as non-resisnt for Jan/Feb), and now would be able to re-source the income and reduce the tax to zero using the re-sourced 1116. This is how US citizens living in canada (which would be in essence how you were treating yourself for Jan/Fev) treat that type of situation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D