NR Canadian T1 Schedule A world income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jixca

NR Canadian T1 Schedule A world income

Post by jixca »

I'm single under 30, currently working under TN in NYC since 2016 and filed NR for Canada 2016.

For 2017, I have only $200 small amount of interest from bank and I've reported as such using ufile.ca there's no tax required and I plan on just printing that out and send to CRA.

However, there is a form under ufile.ca which fills T1 General 2017 - Schedule A - Statement of World Income - Non-Residents of Canada

I've tried both reporting 0 and full amount (as corresponding to my 1040) and they don't affect the final result, still no tax owed but I'm just wondering if it's needed to fill the form at all? All my research on being NR of Canada points to no reporting requirement if income in not earn within Canada.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Non-residents don't pay tax on Cdn bank interest to CRA, so you do not have to file.

In 2016, you filed a departure return (not a non-resident return), correct? Then you are done with Canada until you move back. You report all interest on your US return.

Don't forget FBAR FinCEN (browse for answers) to report the existence of your Cdn accounts.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jixca

Post by jixca »

Right yeah I thought so. I already filed for departure in 2016.

I received a mixed of T5 and NR4 for the bank interests so I thought it's probably better to file a return to CRA even if no tax due. It should be all NR4 going forward from my banks.

For US, yes I'm aware of all that FBAR and 8938/8621 requirements and have been closing my accounts in Canada so going forward it should be simple.

Separate question, in 2017 I got form 1065/schedule K1 (I bought a stock (BX) that's partnership, so passive as stock holder) and also got 1099-MISC as rebate offer from investment bank for opening account. I entered the values to my TaxAct accordingly, but will that ever be an issue with TN status? I'm assuming it's just treated as investment or interest income that's passive in nature right?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Earning passive income is not a TN violation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D