Web site revenues on 1040NR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SomeoneElse

Web site revenues on 1040NR

Post by SomeoneElse »

I am a Canadian resident needing to file a 1040NR.

I earn income from a web site where some payments come from US sources - Amazon, eBay and Google ads. Also donations from individuals to support the site. Also sale of shareware that individuals pay for if they want to use it longer.

Do all those revenue sources need to be reported on the 1040NR (presumably with a reasonable expense allocation as well)?

For the ads, that is easy.

For the small donations and sales, do I need to go through all the $10 PayPal items and decide which ones came from the US and which ones didn't. The PayPal account has a Canadian address. The web site owner address is in Canada, but the hosting is currently on servers in the US.

TIA.
SomeoneElse

Post by SomeoneElse »

I did some googling and found lots of contradictory information, some of which must be wrong, so it is clearly a difficult question to answer authoritatively.

This seemed to be the best answer I could find, both for content and because it had the results I hoped for :)

http://ustax.bz/non-us-entrepreneurs/

What if I sell products online and my server is located in the US? Doesn’t matter. If the server on which your web page lives is in the US, then you’re just using the services of an independent agent (i.e., the hosting service). That doesn’t make you ETBUS.