Canadian in the US contribution RRSP for the departure year

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sedona

Canadian in the US contribution RRSP for the departure year

Post by sedona »

I moved to the US around mid last year(2017). I have some CAD income during the first half of the year(2017) and I have some unused RRSP contribution room.

Is there any penalty of any sort or any taxation issue if I contribute before March 1st 2018 to be deducted for the 2017 tax year?

Thank you
totality6666

Post by totality6666 »

You can always reduce your Canada income for 2017 through RRSP contributions. However, you can't reduce your US income through them.

Hence, if you file 1040 in US 2017, whatever savings in Canada would be paid to US (as you declare world income), and would not bring immediate tax savings.

However, if you file 1040NR, then you don't have to declare non-US income and hence it does make sense to contribute in this case.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Most emigrants to US can benefit from making an RRSP contribution for that year if their RRSP trustee lets them

Even if filing a 1040, the cdn tax saved will not adversely affect their US tax since most use 2555 to exclude cdn wages rather than foreign tax credit.

If you are married it is almost never useful to filev1040NR in entry year unless you arrive very late in year
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
totality6666

Post by totality6666 »

Right, my reply is appropriate only if canada income is too high to be excluded on 1040 using foreign income exclusion.

nelsona's answer is more appropriate in the general case
sedona

Post by sedona »

Can you clarify what you mean by "Hence, if you file 1040 in US 2017, whatever savings in Canada would be paid to US (as you declare world income)"?

My income is from the first half of 2017 and I don't have any employment income in Canada after Mid 2017. The tax refund that I'll get from the CRA needs to be reported a s an income in the US?
totality6666

Post by totality6666 »

No - your tax refund doesn't have to be reported to IRS.

What I meant is that if your canadian income is higher than the pro-rated foreign income exclusion amount on 1040, then reducing your canadian income through RRSP contributions would not reduce your US world income, and so you would not save taxes by doing RRSP contributions, because the US world income would not be reduced.

The above applies only if you made a canadian salary that is more than 102k USD * FX rate * # of months in canada / 12.

If your canadian income is lower than that, then RRSP contributions are definitely reducing your tax burden.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is not quite as simple as applying a formula, as US tax credit would also depend on US income, Cdn income, and the proportion each is of world income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
AlysiaScott

Re: Canadian in the US contribution RRSP for the departure year

Post by AlysiaScott »

Some forums made the people blocked so that they cannot violate the rules and regulations there. Moreover, you can consult with https://topaustralianwriters.com/aussiewritings-review/ this site that is effective in giving the rules and regulations as well.