Canadian working in US (TN) - Do I need to file CAN taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

shahchip

Canadian working in US (TN) - Do I need to file CAN taxes?

Post by shahchip »

Hi,

I started working in the US on a TN visa in 2016. I've kept my license, bank accounts and had no car or house in Canada when I left. I didn't declare myself non-resident or anything like that. I have been visiting Canada pretty regularly (~2 mo) since I left.

I filed both Canadian and US tax returns for 2016. But I have no Canadian income in 2017 so am I right in saying that I don't need to file any Canadian tax return?

Also, I want to send a significant (>10K) amount of money that I earn in the US back to family in Canada. Canada doesn't have a gift tax but does this have any effect on whether I should do a Canadian tax return and report my US income in Canada or not?

Thanks so much for help in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

First off, you are no longer a cdn tax resident, but you have not filed correctly in 2016’ since you didn’t declare your departure.
There are many posts here on departure tax returns.

As to gifts, Canada doesn’t care, but US does care about gift tax, which is paid by the giver not the recipient. There is a limit to how much you can give someone before YOU pay tax. It is around 10k.

So you need to correct your 2016 cdn return (and probably your US one too) and determine if you owe gift tax
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tony

Post by tony »

Suppose, (wife + children) stays in Canada.
Give to them, will I need to pay tax?
what is the definition of family here? e.g. parents?