US-based mutual fund taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ewax

US-based mutual fund taxes

Post by ewax »

I've owned shares in a mutual fund in the U.S. for about 20 years. A few years ago, I moved to Canada (I'm a dual citizen) and have doing my US and Canadian tax returns.

I've decided I want to sell this mutual fund but want to go about it in the right way. Recently, I called up the company running the mutual fund and changed my address to my Canadian address. Now that I'm a Canadian resident and have changed my address with the mutual fund to my Canadian address, if I sell the mutual fund would it be considered Canadian income whose tax I'd pay to Canada (and claim credit for on my US return) or would I need to pay the tax to the US (and claim credit on my Canadian return) because of the mutual fund company being based in the US?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The address on file has nothing to do with how the fund is taxed. Once you became a Cdn resident, your investments are taxed in both countries, but PRIMARILY Canada, and US will credit you with the Cdn tax (counter intuitive because you are now Cdn resident). Kind of how you described, but not for the reason you thought. Its your residency, not the address on file. Even if you listed a US address, it would still work that way.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cyjek

Re: US-based mutual fund taxes

Post by cyjek »

I think PHP BB forum have been banned for the same work. Most of the time people are not real for getting the same on https://www.resumehelpservices.com/ there also must be the same on the right path of getting inconsistency for same legislation so must contact developers of forum.