Canadian shares in non-public company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Canadian shares in non-public company

Post by stevietat » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:35 pm

I've recently left a start-up company in Canada to live in the US. I would like to exercise some of my vested options I received from the start up in the next few weeks, so I will be receiving the shares while I'm not a US tax resident (since I will not have been there long enough)

A few questions:

If I claim Canadian non-residency and deal with departure tax, how do those shares get taxed? Is there anyway to defer the tax to an actual event where the company is sold or goes public? Otherwise what determines the FMV of the shares?

In 2018 when I will be a US resident, do I need to report the shares? If the company was to sell in 2018, do I then get taxed again?

Post Reply