CDN citizen living in US while still working in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ChrisJenMiloUSA

CDN citizen living in US while still working in Canada

Post by ChrisJenMiloUSA »

So me and my wife are Canadian citizens living in the USA. I still work in Canada and she works in the US. I'm on a TD visa through her TN. We are not 100% sure if we will live permanently in the US as we might move back to Canada.

I have questions regarding investments.

I still work in Canada and will receive a pension when I retire.
I have some money in my RRSP account that I contributed BEFORE i moved to the US.
I emptied out my TFSA before moving to the states as I feared i'd be taxed on any growth in the account and we needed money for a house.
I have money in a taxable (non-reg) account in Canada.

My wife has no money in her RRSP or TFSA account in Canada.

My wife works in the US and contributes to a Roth 401K (we pay the tax upfront but any growth is tax free).

When we moved to the US we declared temporary leave from Canada, I declared the value of my assets at the time of leaving.

Questions:

what would be the smartest way to handle our retirement/current investments?

Can we contribute to RRSP? should we max out my wife's 401K? set up an IRA account?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Do you commute to Canada to work?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ChrisJenMiloUSA

[quote="nelsona"]Do you commute to Canada to work?[/quote]

Yes
ChrisJenMiloUSA

[quote="ChrisJenMiloUSA"][quote="nelsona"]Do you commute to Canada to work?[/quote]

Yes. I commute daily. [/quote]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thanks for that important info. You should be getting of the non-registered account, since you are no longer resident of Canada.

Since you are a non-resident of Canada, but working in Canada, you will be filing a "normal" tax return for a resident of that province, but will only report your work income. It is probably a good idea to keep funding your RRSP (but it is best if it is your WORK RRSP, not a personal one), as you will still want to reduce your Cdn/Prov tax, to reduce your overall tax.

You will report all your Cdn income on your US tax return. You can get credit for the Cdn/Prov tax you pay, as well as EI/CPP. You will be allowed to claim up to US$18000 as a deduction on your 1040 in US if you use your employer RRSP. You cannot deduct any private RRSP contributions on 1040. You will need to keep track of any non-deductible contributions you make, for future US taxation of any RRSP withdrawals, if you reamin in US permanently. Keep a god record of what your personal RRSP was worth when you moved, too.

Since she has a Roth401(K) she should keep funding that. if you fund anything it should be a RothIRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ChrisJenMiloUSA

[quote="nelsona"]Thanks for that important info. You should be getting of the non-registered account, since you are no longer resident of Canada.

Since you are a non-resident of Canada, but working in Canada, you will be filing a "normal" tax return for a resident of that province, but will only report your work income. It is probably a good idea to keep funding your RRSP (but it is best if it is your WORK RRSP, not a personal one), as you will still want to reduce your Cdn/Prov tax, to reduce your overall tax.

You will report all your Cdn income on your US tax return. You can get credit for the Cdn/Prov tax you pay, as well as EI/CPP. You will be allowed to claim up to US$18000 as a deduction on your 1040 in US if you use your employer RRSP. You cannot deduct any private RRSP contributions on 1040. You will need to keep track of any non-deductible contributions you make, for future US taxation of any RRSP withdrawals, if you reamin in US permanently. Keep a god record of what your personal RRSP was worth when you moved, too.

Since she has a Roth401(K) she should keep funding that. if you fund anything it should be a RothIRA.[/quote]

I think I would like to set up a meeting to discuss this further.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please don't use the quotes for your messages, it clutters up the thread, and I know what I wrote.

I would contact Serbinski then. I don't have any association with them.