US resident working as freelancer for Cdn company remotely

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jenniferjames1616

US resident working as freelancer for Cdn company remotely

Post by jenniferjames1616 »

I moved from Canada to the US and have finally secured my green card. My former employer has given me an opportunity to work as a freelancer for the Canadian company and work remotely from the US. The company does not have a US office.

Can you help me understand how I should bill CanCo and how I should
file taxes?

1) Do I just bill my hourly rate and file US federal and state taxes? I.e no need to file taxes in Canada?

2) Do I need to pay HST or any Canadian taxes?

3) Do I need to bill CanCo HST?

Thanks for your help!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you are performing the work in US, there is no need for CanCo to withhold anything, nor for you to file a Cdn tax return.

I'll let you figure out the HST. it will depend whether or not you are "carry on business in Canada". Murky stuff.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... anada.html
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
jenniferjames1616

Post by jenniferjames1616 »

Does it matter where my former employer is based - the company that I will work as a freelancer for? They are based in Ontario, Canada.

Does that change anything? More specifically does that mean since they are based in Ontario and its income from Canadian sources then I must file taxes in Canada no matter if I live in the US or perform the work in the US?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I already answered the income tax question. You told me you were working for a CDn company.

You could even perform the work in Canada (for less than 1/2 the year) and not have to pay Cdn income taxes. You are a non-resident contractor.

Where the company is located has a bearing on HST, and that is for you to figure out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gale_Shermin

Re: US resident working as freelancer for Cdn company remote

Post by Gale_Shermin »

[quote="jenniferjames1616"] My former employer has given me an opportunity to work as a freelancer for the Canadian company and work remotely from the US. [/quote]

That's my dream job man....