Reporting RESP income and expenses on 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jayaamit

Reporting RESP income and expenses on 1040

Post by jayaamit »

I have a RESP in Canada that I hadn't closed before moving to USA. I have filed 3520 and 3520-A. However, I am not sure what to do with the "Foreign Grantor Trust Owner Statement" that I issued to myself. Due to the nature of the account (Knowledge First Financial) I have interests, dividends, capital gains, other income and also expenses that I have noted in 3520-A. My question is how to report these amounts in my 1040 tax return?

Here's what I have figured so far. Please correct me if this is incorrect and please suggest the correct approach:

For all interests mentioned in the 3520-A Grantor Owner Statement I should fill out 1099-INT form in TurboTax as if I received that form.
For all dividends I must fill out 1099-DIV.
For Capital Gains I decided to put them in the 1099-DIV form itself as there was a section for Capital Gains inside 1099-DIV.
For other income I decided to add it as Other income so that it appears in Line 21 of 1040.

I am still not sure how to claim the expenses in the 1040 or any of it's schedules. If I put them as "investment expenses" then they will come under the 2% AGI rule for my whole AGI even though ideally these expenses should be calculated as 2% AGI of the trust income and not my whole income. I am at a loss regarding how to report the expenses properly. Ideally it should have been better if I could put all interest, dividends, other income and expenses together in single form so that the expenses apply against the income, but by splitting the interest and dividends into 1099-INT and to 1099-DIV I am not sure how to claim the expenses properly. So, any help is appreciated.

Here's the definition of the expenses that have been charged by the RESP provider:

Enrolment Sales Charge (makes up around 25% of the income = $500)
Depository Fees (very nominal - $3 or so)
Insurance Premiums (around $20 or so)

Total Income = Interests: $850, Dividends: $320, Capital Gains: $880, Other Income: $15.

In 3520-A owner statement I put all the expenses under `Trust and Advisor Fee` but not sure if I should have put it under Other Expenses. So that`s another thing I need advise on. Thanks in advance.
jayaamit

Post by jayaamit »

One thing I am confused about is that do I have to attach Schedule E and report the amounts from 3520-A owner statement into Part III of Sch. E (Income or loss from Trusts)? If I do that then does it mean I combine all of interest, dividends, other income as Passive income or as Ordinary Income? If I combine everything like this, and add expenses as deductions in Sch. E part III for this trust, then I don't have to create 1099-DIV, 1099-INT etc, like I did.

How do others who issue a 3520-A owner statement report their income (and expenses) in 1040? Do you file Sch. E or do you split all the income into separate 1099 forms?