Working remotely for US company in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Leah Levitin

Working remotely for US company in Canada

Post by Leah Levitin »

I was working remotely for a company in the US and moved to Toronto, Canada. I would consider myself a Canadian employee working independently. They are still paying my salary however they took me off the W2. From what I understand, if I would be living in the States I would be filling out the W9 and given the 1099, but how does it work if I am living here. Do I need to give my company the CND equivalent of the W9? I would appreciate clarification on this.
Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Where were you before your move to Toronto, and what was/is your US and Cdn immigration statuses?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Leah Levitin

Post by Leah Levitin »

I was working in NJ and I am a dual US and Canadian citizen.
To clarify,when I was working in the US I worked in the office, now that I am in Toronto I work remotely. The company took me off the w2 and said I am my own independent worker now but they are continuing my salary.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They are treating you correctly. You will report this income as self-employed in Canada and US (not owing SS and Medicare). The income is considered Cdn-sourced because you work in Canada, so ant foreign tax credit will be given on your US return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Leah Levitin

Post by Leah Levitin »

Do I need to give any form to my company?
Also, if I am my own employer what would I be filling out this coming tax season?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No form necessary. They have your SSN on file.

Self-employed individuals file the same tax return as employees. Software will handle what specific Schedules, etc.
Leah Levitin

Post by Leah Levitin »

My company wants me to fill out a W9. Does that make sense?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

OK. They won't learn anything new.