How can I recover the US Taxes I paid.

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kenrousselle

How can I recover the US Taxes I paid.

Post by kenrousselle »

I invested monies in a Canadian Limited Partnership that owned US rental property through a US LLC. The US LLC sold the property and allocated the income, capital gains and taxes paid on the rental property. (wound down). I paid closed to $29,000 in US taxes, but I'm cappted on how much FTC I can get on my Canadian return.

I was issued a T5013 from the Canadian Partnership, but nothing from the US? Presumably because the US State sold the properties and allocated all income/expenses/taxes to the Canadian Partnership.

Can I file a US Tax return (Arizona) and claim the capital gains/taxes paid in that state even thought I wasn't issued a US tax slip?

PS. I"m a Canadian.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You would first need to find out where the tax went. If you can claim some or all of it back, you can only claim it against what was paid to the IRS, and/or a particular state.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Us tax on US real property is not usually limited on a Cdn returns.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry, meant:
US tax CREDIT on US tax from US real property is not usually limited on a Cdn returns.