Cdn working in US - owning a pre-construction condo in Cdn

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lgbgbt88

Cdn working in US - owning a pre-construction condo in Cdn

Post by lgbgbt88 »

Hello, I'm a Cdn working in the US. I own a pre-construction condo in Toronto (the province that has some kind of tax for foreign buyers... I'm not entirely certain about the terms).

My question - I am a Cdn but didn't pay Cdn tax for the past couple of years (only paid US tax) and the construction company will deliver my condo next year. Do I need to pay this foreign buyer tax at the time they deliver my condo? Any other things I should be considering/be cautious about given my tax status?

Thanks
J
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

From what I've read, the NRST is determined by your immigration status, not your tax residency. Since you are a Cdn citizen, it will not apply to you.

Even when you take possession of this condo, it will not make you a tax resident, so you do not have to worry about that. You will not be able to treat it as your principle residence, however, until you actually move back to Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D