American Opportunity Credit for 27 year old US citizen

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mackayr

American Opportunity Credit for 27 year old US citizen

Post by mackayr »

I've calculated a refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit for the following, and would appreciate any feedback on whether I'm missing something or not. Sometimes things seem too good to be true.

1) US citizen / Full time Canadian resident
2) Started attending school full time (for the second time) at a local college in Canada in September 2016
3) Claimed a small AOC in 2010, when attending school for the first time.
4) Only needs $85 of education credit to reduce tax to zero
5) Lives with parents and dependent on them for support
6) I couldn't find any non-US schools on the list of US accredited universities, but found her school on the list of schools participating in the Title IV federal student aid program. This appears to meet the definitiion of an eligible educational institution per IRS. Therefore, I've concluded that they are eligble. I've contacted the shool directly, however, and they indicated that US students are not eligible for some grants and certain programs are not eligible for US student loans.

So ... I'm calculating a $711 refundable portion of the AOC. Given the information above, if I determine that the school is eligible, are there other factors that may disqualify her?

I've searched this forum and found similar posts, but not the same fact set. I'd be interested in being pointed in the direction of a list of Canadian educational institutions that are "eligible educational institutions" for this purpose.

Thanks!