Canada -> US under TN and back again

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

flyingmonkey

Canada -> US under TN and back again

Post by flyingmonkey »

I've researched previous posts and couldn't find an answer to this.

Moved to the US under TN from Canada in Aug. 2016. Single, no house or spouse in Canada, just a couple banks accounts, credit cards, health card, driver's license. Closed TFSA in Jan. 2016. I'm weighing the options of filing as non-resident vs. resident in Canada for 2016. While I expect to be in the US for at least a year, I have a good feeling I will return in late 2017 or 2018.

Filing as a resident in Canada for 2016 will make me lose an estimated 11k (actual dollars worth) of tuition tax credits (as they use this before treaty credits :( ). Plus, if I continue to file as a resident I'll have to pay extra tax to Canada in 2017. Therefore I'm heavily leaning towards filing a departure return as non-resident in 2016 and going forward.

[b]My question is: If I return to Canada in 2017 or 2018 after filing as non-resident for my time in the US, will the CRA go back and deem me as a factual resident for my duration of time in the US because I was gone less than 2 years? Are there any repercussions, penalties associated with this? Is there any significant reason at all, if I plan to return in <2 years, for me to continue filing as a resident in Canada while I am in the US?[/b]

Thanks in advance.