Overall question for RRSP, RDPS and RESP reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

puzon23

Overall question for RRSP, RDPS and RESP reporting

Post by puzon23 »

Hi All,

I'm just simply looking for a quick confirmation that I am about to correctly do my tax return in regards to my Canadian accounts on my US tax return.

My situation:

Have an RESP/DPSP for myself. Have a RRSP for my wife (I used to contribute to it and she is the beneficiary). Have a RESP for my kids.

In 2016 I made no contributions nor did I take any distributions from any of the accounts. Everything accrued within the accounts on their own.

For my return here is what I know/should do:

For my RRSP/DPSP - nothing on 1040, no 3520, no 3520-a, no 8891, FBAR since it is worth more than $10k

For my wife's RRSP - nothing on 1040, no 3520, no 3520-a, no 8891, FBAR since it is worth more than $10k

For RESP - 3520 to report existence, 3520-a to report transactions within the account (capital gains, dividends, etc), 8621 - for PFIC reporting and QEF election, 1040 - to report all gains (interest earned, dividends, capital gains, etc), FBAR since it is worth more than $10k

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes
You need FBAR because although you say none of yoyr accounts exceed 10k US
The sum does so they are ALL reportable including your cdn bank accounts as well
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
puzon23

Post by puzon23 »

Hi,

Thanks for confirming the filing requirements, I appreciate that.

For FBAR, yes, I will have to report every foreign account that I have. I actually did say that I will do FBAR because they DO exceed $10k. I will have to double check my credit cards as well as even though normally you do not have to report these I was told that if the balance ever goes positive during the year which could happen if you overpay then those have to be reported on FBAR as well.
tony

Post by tony »

1. Besides FBAR reporting, do I need to submit W-9 for each account I have overseas (outside USA)?
2. Do I need to change the address to a local US address? Or, I can keep it to use Canadian address?