Basic, unusual TFSA/3520 question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Basic, unusual TFSA/3520 question

Post by CdnAmerican »

This is probably an easy one. I'm a USC living in Canada. I went to set up an RRSP at my Cdn bank. The agent set this up, and then "helpfully" also set up a TFSA for me, in case I might want one. Do I need to file a 3520 for it? It has no money in it, though I might want to use it in the future (especially if I am going to have to file for it anyway).

Thanks!
Not a professional opinion.
brianbbc

tfsa

Post by brianbbc »

I hope you got an answer already. do not open a tfsa as an American citizen. the irs does not recognize or accept it for what it is. when you cash it out later, the cra will not tax you but the irs will tax you on the capitol gains.you will also be required to pay taxes on the yearly dividends. the cra is much better to usa citizens or previous residents as they accept the roth ira just the way the irs does. also be careful how you invest your taxable accounts in Canada, the irs will heavily tax foreign income (pfic). sheltered accounts like rrsp are safer.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well CRA is nicer because US had the sense of putting Roth in the treaty while Canada didn't. Until it was in the treaty CRA treated Roths exactly like IRS now treats TFSAs
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D