Residency tie breaker question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

davidj091

Residency tie breaker question

Post by davidj091 »

Let's consider the following scenario

A US citizen spends more than 183 days in Canada, but is staying with relatives (not direct family, no spouse, no children)

He does not own or rent a home in US or Canada.

He does not have any ties in Canada.
He has no spouse or children.

He has a corporation, health insurance, accountant, personal and corporate bank accounts, personal and corporate credit cards and a cell phone in USA.

I assume he would be deemed a US tax resident under the treaty. Am I correct?
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

I forgot to add, he also has a US driver's licence
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would say he is a deemed resident of canada, since he doesn't have a place to live in US (btw, his DL is questionable). Where does he spend his time the other days of the year?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

He spends about a month in US, the rest in various other countries. In the prior years he has spent less than 183 days in Canada with no significant ties.

He also has a relative's place available to him just like in Canada. Does the center of vital interests come into play here? and since his business and personal connections are closer to US, he would be a US resident?
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

Also do you know how the 183 day rule is calculated?

Let's say I leave on a day, does the day I leave count towards the 183 day?

and when I enter the country, does the half day count towards the 183 day rule?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Under the 183 day rule each PART DAY is counted as a day.

Under paragraph 2, there is no doubt that he would be considered US resident HOWEVER you only get to paragraph 2 if you can meet paragraph 1.

There might be a problem arguing the treaty considers him a US resident, based on the new clarification in Article IV(1):

"For the purposes of this paragraph, an individual who is not a resident of Canada under this paragraph and who is a United States citizen or an alien admitted to the United States for permanent residence (a "green card" holder) is a resident of the United States only if the individual has a substantial presence, permanent home or habitual abode in the United States, and that individual’s personal and economic relations are closer to the United States than to any third State.

Notice it says ONLY IF he has a home AND has substantial presence in US, is he considered US resident.

Canada deemed resident rules don't require any abode in Canada, merely being there for 183 days, even as a tourist.

So, his failure to have a substantial presence or home in US may be making him a deemed resident of Canada.

I would have no problem claiming he was NOT a deemed resident, because of the points that you already made, but be aware that CRA, if they were to ever get wind of him, might be able to make a case for deemed status based on the definition above.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

Thanks for your help nelsona

From next year he will be full time in USA, if somehow CRA gets the wind of him and deems him resident. Does CRA have jurisdiction to go after his assets in USA?
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

Also do you think he has anything to worry about since he stayed by only 2 more days than the 183 day rule?
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

Also if he starts spending all his time in US now and rents a place, would that change anything?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would help. he spends too much time in Canada and has too little ties in US to not worry.
Anything he can do to fix those 2 issues is good.
davidj091

Post by davidj091 »

I did read the treaty more carefully and I ran into Article XXVIA “Assistance
in Collectionâ€￾

It seems that even if he is found to owe money to CRA, there is not much CRA can do since he has no assets in Canada. And since he is a US citizen, IRS or the US government is not allowed to work with CRA to collect the tax that he would owe to CRA.

" 8. No assistance shall be provided under this Article for a revenue claim in respect of a taxpayer to the extent that the taxpayer can demonstrate that
(a) Where the taxpayer is an individual, the revenue claim relates to a taxable period in which the taxpayer was a citizen of the requested State,"