switching rssp fund while in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tony

switching rssp fund while in US

Post by tony »

ING & IG said they dont' have license to sell / switch funds if a customer doesn't live in canada jurisdiction. However, manulife said there is no problem if i want to switch fund from A to B while i am in the US. Is that true? Anybody experience that? is that a US law or canada law?

thanks
tony

Post by tony »

the definition of switching fund is still remain in canada funds not US funds.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is part of US securities rules which forbid CDn brokerages from delaing in RRSPs for US residents unless they meet state licensing. Most brokerages do not, but some do. which is why you, when first moving to US, need to identify such a broker (like TD waterhouse) and move your RRSP to that brokerage.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tony

Post by tony »

thanks Nelson, manulife doesn't have such restriction like IG, and ING.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, they ALL have the restriction, it is simply that Manulife has decided to get themselves compliant in your state.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tony

Post by tony »

Thanks Nelson, but I have checked with TD waterhouse they said the same things as ING & IG. They will not allow any transaction if the person is outside Canada even for a vacation in US. The one that I called handles mutual fund. Unless, you're talking other product than "MUTUAL FUND".
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to speak to the right people. Many of us on this board have self-directed RRSPs with TDW. Some funds are restricted to Cdn residents, but not all. In any event, you need to move your funds from the brokerages that are denying you, so you don't have much choice, other than just taking the money.

We have all been through this.

And remember, we are talking RRSPs. Indeed, non-sheltered accounts are not allowed to US residents.