Cannot self-trade RRSP account as US citizen?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

thomaskwan

Cannot self-trade RRSP account as US citizen?

Post by thomaskwan »

Hi there, I have a Canadian RRSP account with TD and I am a US citizen. TD said I cannot trade by myself and i have to call them up to trade. Is this true? Or it is just a way for TD to make more commissions out of me? thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is true if you LIVE in US, not simply by being a US citizen. You must always go through an agent. You should however be able to negotiate a lower fee because of the restriction.

It is a US residency issue, not a US citizen issue.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
thomaskwan

thanks

Post by thomaskwan »

Thanks nelsona, do you know where i can find more info about this restriction. Will moving to another brokerage company remove the restriction?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Good luck. Since you are in US, you must go through an agent. Ask your broker to provide you with the why's?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
moneyissues123

Post by moneyissues123 »

It's true. I am with TD also and have to call each time, but they reduce the commission to $10/trade.

What state do you live in?