Have lived in Canada 2008-2015; what is my cost basis for DT

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

Lisa Lynch

Have lived in Canada 2008-2015; what is my cost basis for DT

Post by Lisa Lynch »

Hi,

I've been teaching in Canada for 7 years. I have an apartment in Brooklyn which I purchased in 2000 and some investments. I was unaware of departure tax issues until now and am trying to school myself. I have read that "only the difference between the fair market value of capital properties owned (anywhere in the world) when leaving Canada as compared to the fair market value of capital properties owned when entering Canada is used in the capital gains calculation upon departure." Is this correct? In other words, I am only supposed to pay capital gains accrued since 2008? I'm a bit verklempt because otherwise I'll have to sell my Brooklyn apartment in order to pay capital gains, and it's supposed to be my new home!

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Lisa, I wish you had asked this on the tax forum.

You will not be liable for any tax on this properrty, because you (a) owned it before coming to canada and (b) you were in canada lessthan 5 years.

Such foreign property is excluded from deemed disposition rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Ouch. Sorry, I missed that upu were in canada SEVEN years.
Yes you will need to pay cap gains for the 7 years worth of gains.

But, you will be allowed to also pretend to sell for US purposes, such that you will have a gain in ech country, so that you can take a credit of your Cdn retunr, and this boost the cost basis for US purposes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D