Investments and income tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sylvie0221

Investments and income tax

Post by sylvie0221 »

Hi

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US since 2006 (permanent resident since 2008). I have Canadian investments and when I moved, I left them there. I don't touch them. I just plan to let them ride and get money for retirement. Every year, I have received an NR4 and this year a T5008. I was doing some research today and saw on a website (not this one), that I should have filled out Schedule B on the 1040 (questions 7 & 8). Also, something about FinCEN form 114 (FBAR) and form 3520. This wasn’t a government website so I don’t know if it’s true. Is this something that should have been done all these years? Or is this only for US Citizens? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
moi

Post by moi »

OMG, do it, say you didn't know about it, they can fine you.....they just want to know that the money isn't being touched...
sylvie0221

Post by sylvie0221 »

[quote="moi"]OMG, do it, say you didn't know about it, they can fine you.....they just want to know that the money isn't being touched...[/quote]

I've been finding a lot of articles about it. It's so hard to know which forms you have to fill out. We do have a tax preparer. Guess she didn't know about this either. I read somewhere that I should go file the FBAR for the last 6 years. Supposedly there's a spot that asks why you haven't filed and one of the choices is "I didn't know I had to file" (or something to that effect). Guess, that's what I will be checking off.
moi

Post by moi »

Everytime I call the irs or cra, I get different answers....good luck figuring it all out.