Spousal Support

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

YankCanuck

Spousal Support

Post by YankCanuck »

If I live in the US but collect spousal support from a Canadian resident, is this income reported in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By careful planning, your alimony could be tax-free to you, and tax-free to your ex.

It requires specific wording in your divorce agreement.

I'll let you read about it:

http://gedeonlawcpa.com/does-a-us-resid ... -resident/
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
YankCanuck

Post by YankCanuck »

Thank you for confirming. My agreement quotes the US IRS Code, Seection 71 (1)(B) stating that the payments are not includable in gross income and not allowable as a deduction under Section 215.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Perfect
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
YankCanuck

Post by YankCanuck »

Would it be necessary to file a Canadian tax return if I were a US resident when receiving support in Cdn funds?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. By treaty alimony paid to US residents is not taxable in canada.
Allycat

Post by Allycat »

where can i find out more about this "specific wording" on the gedeon website? anybody know a link? My divorce agreement is now 6 years old. Can I just get my ex to write something and get it notarized or something?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The IRS.
Allycat

Post by Allycat »

I have looked extensively on the IRS website for some corroboration of this exemption mentioned on the gedeon site, but can't find anything about it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then I guess gedeon is the next place to ask.