Canada-based self-employed while working full-time TN in USA

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

annaR

Canada-based self-employed while working full-time TN in USA

Post by annaR »

Hi,
I am a Canadian working and living in the US under a TN visa since 2007.
I still own my family home in Canada, which I use regularly for weekends and vacations (probably will return to live there when retiring).

Before I came to the US under the TN visa, I was self-employed in Canada doing CAD drawing. I stopped this self-employment when I started my full-time job here in the US.

I have been approached recently by a few companies (one is American and two others are Canadian), they are offering me small contracts to do for them.

I know that I am not allowed to work in the US other than for the company sponsoring my TN.

My question is: Could I renew my self-employment registration in Canada and do these contracts during my free time (both from my Canadian home and my US home) and still keep my regular full-time job in the US and my TN visa? Is this a violation of my TN somehow ?

Because this is a combination of immigration and fiscal issue, it would also be great if could explain how it would work with taxes for both the regular US full-time job and the Canada self-employment?

Thank you
Anna