Still have not received my US Fed Refund

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Grad467_2

Still have not received my US Fed Refund

Post by Grad467_2 »

Good day all. I did a search and could not find this topic thus the post. I did my 1040-NR and mailed it out approximately June 9 this year and I still do not have any clue the status of my refund check (I also filed for my State return and received a check in July). It was a paper return (from my understanding 1040NR's cannot be e-filed?).

I spoke to the IRS 2 weeks ago and they told me they are still working on the backlog but they couldn't find anything in their system (I also check online via "IRS - Where is my Refund" and nothing comes up and the site tells me they haven't received anything yet). During this call, the IRS agent told me that if I don't hear anything by the end of this month, to send a copy of my return as well as a W2 copy which I will do this week.

Is anybody else still waiting? I am curious because I think my return might have been lost via mail.

Any recommendations and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
jixca

Re: Still have not received my US Fed Refund

Post by jixca »

Mailed 1040 on Mar 13
Refund received Sep 10

You probably have a month or two of waiting still.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The fact that nothing os in the system yet tells me you should be sending a copy as instructed. "Where's my refund" usually works within days of sending in the form.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Grad467_2

Post by Grad467_2 »

nelsona wrote:
> The fact that nothing os in the system yet tells me you should be sending a
> copy as instructed. "Where's my refund" usually works within days
> of sending in the form.

Nelsona, that's what I plan to day but the lady told me via my call to the IRS that this is not necessarily uncommon.

Jixca, curious when you started seeing an update via the IRS's "Where is my refund" tool on their website?
jixca

Post by jixca »

I checked few times from May to July and there was no result, then stopped caring.

They (IRS) only went back to office in late July I think, so the paperwork piled up and wouldn't be in the system for a while.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Indeed, the IRS is probably backlogged. Trying to cash Trump's $750 check.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D