Another NR4 with code 43 into US tax question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

vincebouchard

Another NR4 with code 43 into US tax question

Post by vincebouchard »

Hi Nelsona, I know you have answered this question multiple time. But I'm getting hit with more tax to pay in the US.
I need to determine the taxable portion of the Gross RRSP withdrawal amount.

Non taxable RRSP (as of date I became US resident in September 2016) $50,433 USD
Gross withdrawal in 2019 (As of date of withdrawal) $49,408 USD (my stocks went down)
Net Taxable portion should be $0 or negative since I lost money (-$ 1,025) during 3 years.

Total Taxes paid to Canada for lump sum (25%) on Gross withdrawal $12,352 USD

On form 1116, The net foreign taxable income should be $0 or -$ 1,025 , not $49,408 USD right?
My accountant is adding the entire amount as an income and I get hit with more tax to pay since it raise my US income from last year to $171k.

Is it possible to declare a loss on form 1116?

Thank you
nelsona

Re: Another NR4 with code 43 into US tax question

Post by nelsona »

The taxable portion is ZERO. Once you close the RRSP, then you can claim a loss only on schedule A.
So, there is no point claiming tax this on 1116, Use it on Schedule A instead, hoping that along with you other itemized decutions, you will get something out of it.

Your accountant is incorrectly including the gross as net income. The gross ($49K) and net (0) go on the pension line of the tax return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm assuming this is your personal RRSP, not some pension rollover.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
vincebouchard

Post by vincebouchard »

Thank you, that was my assumption.
Well, it was a personal LIRA converted into an RRSP for withdrawal. Hope that doesn't change anything.

Do you have the link where you describe the rules for non-taxable vs taxable ratio?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since it was a LIRA, it is 100% taxable in US, so you can use the Cdn tax as a credit. Only personal RRSPs have some US tax-free portion.

IRS Code 72(w) I believe.