RRIF Lump Sum Withdrawal

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CASAMARROM

RRIF Lump Sum Withdrawal

Post by CASAMARROM »

Thank you Nelsona,

It is great to learn we do not need 8833. I had read somewhere, that there would be a fine of $1000 if an individual fails to report 8833.
Because it was a Lump Sum, this account has been closed and it will not be reported next year on F-Bar neither 8938. It is Correct?
I have reported the NR4 RRIF withdrawal on 1099-R.
On 1116 Part I used a separate column from (CPP+OAS) for this RRIF withdrawal. Should I had added all CPP+OAS+RRIF in the same column?
Thank you very much for your help.

I read your explanation posted bellow about Taxable and Non Taxable Rate.
I am not sure where I should use those calculations.
I appreciate your advice.

RE: US tax for RRSP RIF distribution Taxable and Foreign tax Credit
by worryfreeinvestor » Fri May 31, 2019 7:52 pm
nelsona wrote:

Each year you take out money, you need to determine the taxable ratio based
on (a) the non-taxable amount in your RRSP/RRIF and the total amount you have.
The non-taxable portion when you first begin withdrawing is the $200 you had when you arrived.
The taxable portion is above that.
So, if at beginning of year you had $300, then the taxable ratio is (300-200)/300 = 1/3
Si, if you took $50, your taxable portion is $50 *1/3 = $16.67 and the non-taxable is $33.33.
Next year, your non-taxable portion is $200 - $33.33 = $166.67 and so on.
Thank you. By "non-taxable portion" do you mean the following? That is, if next year the BOY value of the RRIF is $250, the taxable ratio is ($250-$166.67)/$255=1/3?
It looks constant if the BOY valuation is simply the previous year balance minus the distribution. But unless i take my distribution on December 31, there could be variance, right?