Donations to US Charities -- Combine with spouse?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MSS1976

Donations to US Charities -- Combine with spouse?

Post by MSS1976 »

Hello,

I understand that donations to US charities can only be used for a Canadian tax credit if they are less than 75% of a taxpayer's US-sourced income. In my case, almost 100% of my income is US-sourced and 100% of my spouse's income is Canada-sourced. Most of my donations are to US charities, and most of my spouse's donations are to Canadian charities. Can I still combined both categories of charitable donations on my spouse's Canadian tax return (despite the fact that my spouse does not have US-sourced income)?

nelsona

Re: Donations to US Charities -- Combine with spouse?

Post by nelsona »

You can combine them, but I would be having you claim all the donations, not her. They could deny the donations on her return, since she has no US income. You don't have that problem. It should give you the same tax break.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are running into the issue of your US foreign tax credit being diminished because of the donations, I would be looking to lower my US tax by some means.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MSS1976

Post by MSS1976 »

Ok. Thank you for the advice.