Foreign Tax credit calculation on firm 1116

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CecileB

Foreign Tax credit calculation on firm 1116

Post by CecileB »

I’m a US citizen working in Canada since July 2019. This is my first time filling my 1040 form with non-US income. I calculated the taxes I paid in Canada (Federal + Provincial taxes) and reported it on my foreign tax credit 1116 tax form. However, after following the IRS instructions, filling all the lines and doing all the calculations, it seems that only half of the amount I actually paid in Can taxes on my Can salary is applied to the Foreign Tax credit (meaning that I still owe taxes to the IRS whereas I already paid them here). Is it normal or am I making something wrong?
nelsona

Re: Foreign Tax credit calculation on firm 1116

Post by nelsona »

That is normal. 1116 is designed to only give credit at the effective rate of tax, while the income is added at the marginal rate.

You might wish to use form 2555 instead, to exclude the income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CecileB

Post by CecileB »

Thanks for the clear answer! My worries are confirmed now... I’ll have to pay double taxes I’m afraid (at least it’s how I feel as I’m already paying the taxes from my Can income to Can). I can’t use the 2555 form, as I spent 6 months in the US in 2019. Hopefully next year...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, you will find that the less your income is split between the two countries, b=the better 1116 will work.

But also remeber that if you have moved to canada, you can still use 2555 if you wait until you meet the PPT test, and prorate the amount for the year. You can exclude 1/2 the maximum, if you spent 1/2 the year outside US, as long as in the 12-month period beginning when you left, you are our 330 days.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CecileB

Post by CecileB »

That's great to know! Thanks. I will definitively look into 2555 (I'm definitively in Can for 330 days straight).