Renewing a expired ITIN for a dependent

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Grad467_2

Renewing a expired ITIN for a dependent

Post by Grad467_2 »

Both my adult children (one is 24 and the other is 22) I included as dependents when I did my 1040-NR for 2019 (I haven't sent it in yet). Both of their ITIN numbers expired but my daughter (who still lives with me) started working in the US under the TN visa program and received a SSN but I also included my son's expired ITIN (which I included on the 1040NR for 2019).

Can I submit my 1040-NR with my son's expired ITIN and include a W-7 (application for renewal with certified copies of his passport) or is there an easier method that won't cause delay's regarding my return?

Thanks in advance for any advice
nelsona

Re: Renewing a expired ITIN for a dependent

Post by nelsona »

The best way is to file the W-7 with a return, although, technically, for a "renewal" of ITIN< you could simply send the W-7.

Can I ask why you are needing to list your adult children as dependent? There is no exemption any longer.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Grad467_2

Post by Grad467_2 »

nelsona wrote:
> The best way is to file the W-7 with a return, although, technically, for a
> "renewal" of ITIN< you could simply send the W-7.
>
> Can I ask why you are needing to list your adult children as dependent?
> There is no exemption any longer.

Thanks for the reply Nelsona! The free software I used from H&R block I did a couple of scenario's putting my adult children and it did not change my refund amount from the Federal side but it did change (increase) my amount on the State return (Michigan) with basically receiving $150 more per dependent. Ideally reapplying for my son's ITIN seems like a pain since he would have to send in his Canadian passport or make certified copies and ideally he will be graduating next year and will most likely be working in the US under the TN program so he would get his own SSN for work purposes.

So did I perhaps do something wrong regarding the MI return and in fact I wouldn't be getting any additional money by adding them as dependents??
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I have no idea about the MI return, but I suspected there was no benefit to adding them federally. And if there is no benefit the IRS says you don't have to list them, even if they "qualify".

Is it worth the trouble for your Michigan, just to reduce your MI tax, so that you can give that amount to CRA instead?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D