US Child Tax Credit - What tax to use

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cullen

US Child Tax Credit - What tax to use

Post by cullen »

Dual US/Canadian Citizen with cross border income living in Canada

I have both US and Canadian employment income and file as a resident in the US since I am a US citizen but now we live in Canada

When I compute the US tax on my wages for the T2209, do I use the amount before the child tax credit or after the child tax credit? Since all our children are US citizens, we get the 2K per child credit. I was told once to use the amount before the child credit

Thanks in advance
Joe
nelsona

Re: US Child Tax Credit - What tax to use

Post by nelsona »

The child tax credit reduces your US taxes, just like any other item might. So, the reduced tax is what you use towards your foreign tax credit.
who 'told' you otherwise?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The only credit you don't use in computing foreign tax eligible for T2209, is the FTC on the 1040 (ie form 1116). That you take after your calculation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cullen

Post by cullen »

Thank you Nelsona
Joe