File a Corrected Return to Claim $500 Benefit for Dependant Kids?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eeyore

File a Corrected Return to Claim $500 Benefit for Dependant Kids?

Post by eeyore »

I'm a U.S. citizen living in Canada. Each year when I file my tax return with the IRS, I don't normally declare my two kids as dependants, since I don't need those credits to bring my taxes down to nothing. I file as married filing separately, since my husband in not a U.S. citizen.

Yesterday, I received my Covid impact cheque for $1200.

I just learned that I probably should have been eligible for $500 for each of my two dependant children. If I file a corrected return, will that trigger an additional payment? On which year's tax return are these payments based?
eeyore

Re: File a Corrected Return to Claim $500 Benefit for Dependant Kids?

Post by eeyore »

I just checked, and I did actually declare my two kids in the Dependents section for my 2019 Form 1040, although the Child Tax Credit worksheet resulted in a zero value recorded on line 13a of Form 1040.

So is the benefit for dependent kids on a separate check, or was it based on the 2018 return?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If iRS had determined that you were eligible for the $500 per child, it would have been included in the single payment. You will need to check with IRS as to why you did not get the additional amount.

As to the child tax credit CTC (which might explain things) do they have SSN's? And did you ask for the Additional tax credit (ACTC), which is later on the return? Usually if one has eligible children, but gets reduced or no CTC, they can claim ACTC.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eeyore

Post by eeyore »

Yes, both kids have SSNs, which were recorded in the Dependents section at the beginning of my 2019 Form 1040.

I was unaware of the ACTC, probably because my tax situation would have derived no benefit from it. It still seems odd that it wasn't enough to simply base my eligibility on the declaration in the Dependents section.

I still wonder, though, whether they based it on my 2018 return. (The IRS notified me that they had accepted my 2019 return on April 4, 2020.) I haven't been able to check my 2018 return to confirm whether I declared my kids as dependents there.

But I'll need to contact IRS, I guess.

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Cdn children with ITINs can be considered dependents. That is why I asked if they had SSNs.
Your check was based on 2018 return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
eeyore

Post by eeyore »

IRS says that these Economic Impact Payments are not taxable in U.S.

Does anyone know if they are CRA-taxable for a U.S. citizen living in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They shpuld not be taxable, however, they do reduce your US tax, which may reduce your Foreign tax credit, if you have US income.