I-94 Issues

This forum deals with all aspects of immigration to the United States, including visa types, general immigration issues, and U.S. immigration topics.

Moderator: Jim Eiss

mikem

I-94 Issues

Post by mikem »

Canadians living in the US, I'm H1B status and dependants are H4 -- we went back to Canada for Christmas. On our way back, DHS border agent discovers that my passport will expire before my I-94. We get hauled inside and all of our I-94's replaced with one that expires on the same day as my passport, which is a full year early & next month.

I now have my new passport and need to get an updated I-94. We live in southern California -- is it possible to walk to the US side of the Mexican border and get an I-94 without actually leaving the country? I really loath the idea of driving into Mexico and coming back in case we run into a DHS agent having a bad day. Alternately, could we get a new I-94 at one of those DHS checkpoints along the freeway?

Thanks.
mikem

Post by mikem »

I would use the San Ysidro crossing if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
mikem

Post by mikem »

Not sure if anyone is still reading this forum, but I walked across at San Ysidro on the weekend. Only had to spend about 30 seconds in Mexico before I was back in line for US customs. Took about 2 hours in total but I didn't have any problems.