Canadian moving to US - Leaving primary residence vacant

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

theonethatgotaway

Canadian moving to US - Leaving primary residence vacant

Post by theonethatgotaway »

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on my current situation and how to proceed:

My fiancee and myself are Canadian citizens living together since April 2016 in our primary residence. I got a job in the US and due to COVID will start working remotely from Canada at the end of May 2020. They will be paying me to my Canadian Bank account in the interim. When we do decide to leave Canada and move to the US, we intend to keep our current primary residence vacant without renting it out to anyone. I will be receiving 0 CDN income once we move to the US.

Are there any negative tax implications from this? I gather from my research that we will be considered deemed - non residents from the above situation? How should I go ahead filing taxes in 2020 and beyond?

Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Re: Canadian moving to US - Leaving primary residence vacant

Post by nelsona »

You will become a true non-resident when you leave canada. Your Cdn home will become a "cottage" at that point. You will file a departure return based on the date you move.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D