Effective tax dates

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Taxpoor

Effective tax dates

Post by Taxpoor »

was a US citizen until my relinquishment on December 12th 2012.

I am filing both a 1040 and 1040NR

Just finishing the 8938 and 8891 forms and wondering about which tax dates I tabulate for the 8938 and 8891?

Do i identify the 8891 as just "for calender year 2012" or do I need to specify the beginning (jan 01) and end date (dec 12)?

same for the 8938, would this form run for the entire tax year, or just up to the date of relinquishment.

thanks in advance
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is probably past idscussion, but why on earth would you file dual status for 19 days!? Did you have somne massive windfall in latre december that you don't want to declare?

For 8891 just report year-end value.

Same for 8938.

You've made this way too complicated for youself, as evidenced by these silly questions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Silly questions?

Agreed that these types of questions would be considered 'silly' if the IRS was not so anal in dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't''s.

Unless you have been living under a rock somewhere, this is the system they govern under..i dont like it, but nonetheless I (we) all have to ensure that the dates and numbers add up correctly.

With respect to filing a 1040 and 1040NR, it is perfectly legit and is actually (IMO) less paperwork that filing a full 1040 along with a treaty based position disclosure...

Nelsona...don't bother replying to my posts anymore, thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You're welcome.... And it's always easier to do something when you ask every friggin' question imaginable.

And quite frankly, I'll continue to answer questions (or not) without any cranky input from you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

You calling me cranky???

You obviously have a sense of humour

keep it up!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I guess I'm more calling you an idiot.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and that would go on each blank line of your return, by the way.
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Well ...you have brought this thread to a personal level...and i refuse to be baited by your remarks.

I will say this, you call me an idiot for asking silly questions when the reality of the situation is this;

The IRS deems my question as a "complicated tax" issue (yes..that is correct) and advises they cannot answer questions of this nature to an 'expat' and therefore must seek advise from a tax lawyer or an Accountant as such. Even when the IRS admits on the phone that theyy know the answer but cannot tell you!

Seeking information from a tax lawyer or Accountant costs money...so we come here to ask these silly questions to educate ourselves and avoid the cost, or crosscheck that we have tabulated forms correctly.

Which brings me to this forum....what is the use of having this forum if these type of questions cannot be asked?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Look at the level of questions you've asked, particularly recently.
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

I was not aware that this forum was for a certain 'level' of question.

So let me get this straight...the IRS deems my question to be too complicated to answer...but you deem the question silly?

interesting
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes.
I'll give credit to the IRS telephlunkies for having at least enough sense to blow you off. My opinion of them has grown. It is still NIL however, or is it zero, or is it blank... I just can't figure it out.

Maybe I should post a question: Is it raining?
mikem

Post by mikem »

Taxpoor: chill out. nelsona has been an immense help to countless people and can run circles around most so-called "tax pro's". Give the man some respect... he has certainly earned it.
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Mikem...get off my thread! unless you have something constructive to add, otherwise mind your own business
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

wow...."don't bother replying to my posts anymore".... "...get off my thread!"....
"mind your own business"

Quite aggressive.

I guess only (s)he gets to decide decide what we like/want.

Typical.