Form 1116 - Apportionment of Expenses Losses and Deductions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nielkfj

Form 1116 - Apportionment of Expenses Losses and Deductions

Post by nielkfj »

On form 1116 (Foreign Tax Credit), how are expenses, losses and other deductions that are not definitely related to one category of income apportioned between all categories of income?

Publication 514 (page 13) says:
“… they are apportioned under the principles of the foreign law. If the foreign law does not provide for apportionment, use the principles covered in the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.”

So, does Canadian law have any rules for apportionment of expenses, losses and other deductions?
nelsona

Re: Form 1116 - Apportionment of Expenses Losses and Deductions

Post by nelsona »

No, just use what the software spits out
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nielkfj

Post by nielkfj »

I don't have software right now. I am just making a spreadsheet to do the basic calculations for a U.S. return to help me with some investment decisions.

But I take it your point is that you don't know of any Canadian rules for apportionment of expenses, so there likely aren't any.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It will be prorated.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nielkfj

Post by nielkfj »

nelsona wrote:
> It will be prorated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "prorated."

Do you mean the amounts will be divided amongst the income categories in proportion to the income in each category?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. Get some software.
nielkfj

Post by nielkfj »

nelsona wrote:
> Yes. Get some software.

Thanks again.

For sure I intend to get software next month when I do my taxes. Right now I am just making a spreadsheet to do some basic tax U.S. tax calculations for some investment ideas I am considering.
nielkfj

Post by nielkfj »

By the way, can you recommend a good software package for doing U.S. tax returns for U.S. expats living in Canada?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I use txact online, others use turbotax.