Does on-line filing of the FBAR work well?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Does on-line filing of the FBAR work well?

Post by CdnAmerican »

Basic question. I am lookin to file my FBAR form for this year. I am up to date on my prior FBAR filing. I am wondering if people have had good experiences with using the on-line filing service for this form?

Thanks!
Not a professional opinion.
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

I have had some clients try, but from what I remember they had trouble making it work from Canada (may be different now).

Most clients however hate the idea of having to submit the forms through the "financial crimes enforcement network".

I don't blame them....

Phil
Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Cross-border investment advisor
http://philhogan.com
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Besides, all the online tax services fill out the form for you accurately, including multiple accounts, joint, etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Ah yes, very nice call about an online service. I have not previously bought any US tax software, thinking it wouldn't work for me in Canada. But I will give it a shot this year -and it's clearly worth it if it can save those forms for me rather than doing them in Adobe fillable pdf's.

Thanks both of you!
Not a professional opinion.
TooMuchCoffee

Post by TooMuchCoffee »

I did this online last year and it worked out all right. There were some technical issues (I use Chrome, and it doesn't work well with chrome) but I eventually managed to do it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

taxact would be nearly free.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D