FBAR reporting on same account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Taxpoor

FBAR reporting on same account

Post by Taxpoor »

NewDual had originally posted this question but I would like to elaborate.

I have a Canadian RRSP with which I have been faithfully tabulating on my FBAR.

In september of 2012, the the funds were placed under a different account number (with the same institution).

I realize (from the previous response from Nelsona) that I have to list both account numbers on the FBAR for the RRSP.

My question is....should I include an explanation letter to the treasury when I mail the FBAR as it willl look like I have two RRSP with a substantial amount of cash when in reality it is the same RRSPt.
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

It never hurts to attach an explanation to forms that need to be filed, however in the case of FBARs it's unlikely that anyone will read or care about the note.

Probably won't hurt.
Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Cross-border investment advisor
http://philhogan.com
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I agree with Phil: don't bother with notes, they are ignored. The purpose of FBAR is to report the existence of accounts. The values are really unimportant.

Besides, you are filing an 8891 for the account anyways. That's enough over-reporting.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Taxpoor

Post by Taxpoor »

Thanks Nelsona, that is what I will do.