10 year limit for filing the T1 Adjustment Request (T1-ADJ)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

WiseGuy

10 year limit for filing the T1 Adjustment Request (T1-ADJ)

Post by WiseGuy »

Hello,

I recently filed (in 2012) a 10 year old T1 return from 2002 in order to get the GST rebate. After I filed, however, I realized a left off some T4 income I should have included.

How do I now make an adjustment to this return if the 10 calendar year limit for filing the T1 Adjustment Request has expired?

Is my only option the Voluntary Disclosure Program (VDP), or do I now have nothing to worry about due to the ten year statute-barred rule coming into effect?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And how is this a cross-border tax question?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

Is "Canada / United States Tax & Accounting" only for cross border ?
tsanaha

Post by tsanaha »

Ok

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

as I see it
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There are so many other websites that can answer straigtforword, or even complexe questions related to Canadian taxation. This website is a cross-border website. Nothing in your question relates to anything to do with cross-border taxation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
WiseGuy

Post by WiseGuy »

Sorry, forgot to mention I had U.S. W2 as well as Canadian income in 2002.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Nice try. Keep searching.
WiseGuy

Post by WiseGuy »

It's true.
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

You filed the T1 its considered filed on time if within the timeframe, all you need to do is file the T1 adjustment request amending the return, or simply send ia a letter asking for the change. As for the W2 income it has no effect on the US side as long as it was reported in the US in 2002 and is now included in the T1.
JG
WiseGuy

Post by WiseGuy »

Thanks JGCA but according to the CRA they do not accept T1 adjustments past ten calendar years:

How to change your return (http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs ... n-eng.html):

If you need to make a change to any return you have sent us, do not file another return for that year. Wait until you receive your notice of assessment before requesting any change to a return. [b][i]You can only request a change to a return for a tax year ending in any of the 10 previous calendar years. For example, a request made in 2013 must relate to the 2003 or a later tax year to be considered.[/i][/b]
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, you answered your own question.

Taught how to fish.

You're welcome.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Now, while the CRA is bound by the 3-year rule, unfortunately, your adjustment restarts that for them.
WiseGuy

Post by WiseGuy »

Thanks Nelsona, but I thought we just agreed no T1 Adjustment was possible after ten years?
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

YOur return is not past due once it is filed within teh timeframe, now you will receive an assessment ( unlike IRS ) once you get the assessment you then can ask for any changes since the 3 year window is now open.
JG
WiseGuy

Post by WiseGuy »

Thank you!